Friday, May 27, 2011

a few surprises




I had an idea of what to expect moving here from reading a lot.  But there have been many surprises; here are a few from my first few days...
  • Time change + long daylight = no sleep: I've never had trouble adapting before, but I can't fall asleep before 3AM here.  Eli is having a lot of trouble too, but I expected that.   
  • Nothing is written in English, anywhere.  Nothing.  While everyone here is fluent in English, I can't read a thing.  Even commercial websites never supplement Swedish with English, and google translate sometimes struggles.   
  • I wasn't expecting everything to be so expensive.  For example, rather than pack worn-out shoes, I figured I'd buy a new pair here.  But I haven't found any brown shoes less than 1200 kr ($200 USD) yet.  
  • Because of those two things, I haven't purchased a phone yet.  If I'm going to pay a lot for a phone, I need to know I'm getting the best value.   
  • Swedes stereotypically keep to themselves to the point of being rude, but I've found exactly the opposite.  Whether I'm looking confused about bus routes or chasing Eli around a grocery store, I've had a lot of people start conversations.  
  • Living in 30 m2 (300 sq ft) with a toddler is possible.  
Well, staying up 'til midnight writing a quick blog post isn't going to help with that sleep thing...


No comments:

Post a Comment